Pat Was Awarded 2015 Appellate Lawyer of the Year

Contact Pat Ford Now
Contact Pat Ford Now


Pat Ford is a criminal defense lawyer in San Diego who represents convicted defendants on appeal in the state and federal courts.  He’s won various honors including “Appellate Lawyer of the Year” from the San Diego Criminal Defense Bar Association for his work in getting a death sentence reversed in the California Supreme Court in 2008.  In 2014, he appeared in the U.S. Supreme Court, along with Stanford Professor Jeff Fisher in a case that expanded the privacy rights of cell phone users and all citizens in the modern age. In 2015, he again received the Appellate Lawyer of the Year award from two organizations–the San Diego Criminal Defense Bar Association and Appellate Defenders, Inc.( the “Paul Bell Award”). He also writes articles regularly for criminal defense organizations and lectures on criminal law-related topics. He received his undergraduate degree from Georgetown in 1980 and his law degree from the University of San Diego in 1983.

Pat Ford is one of the foremost authorities on the criminal law in the state of California.  Since 1984, he has written and edited the California Criminal Law Reporter–a primary research tool used by judges and lawyers across the state.

Pat Ford Appeals - 1901 1st Ave, Suite 400, San Diego, CA 92101

“I feel blessed that Pat Ford was my lawyer.”

David Riley

“Pat fought my case for 12 years until we won.  He never gave up.”

Clifton Maxwell

“Pat proved I was innocent.”

Phillip Hill

“He’s a great lawyer and I owe him everything.”

Kindu Goodman

“He took on the whole police department.”

Anthony Arevalos

“Patrick has a rare combination of heart and mind.”

Ros. State

“I’m so thankful to Pat who worked so hard for me for 16 years until I was finally released. I thought I’d be in prison forever.”

Mario Gonzalez


Choosing the right criminal appeals attorney in San Diego can be difficult. Having the right attorney representing you in your criminal appeal can mean the difference between winning and losing your case.


We have successfully represented clients on appeal and in post-conviction proceedings. We know how devastating a criminal conviction can be for defendants and their loved ones. We provide clients with knowledgeable and competent legal representation during every stage of the appeals process. Read more about why you should appeal your case.

Pat Ford Appeals - 1901 1st Ave, Suite 400, San Diego, CA 92101
Recent Cases / Awards
Recent Cases / Awards

Jeff Fisher and Pat Ford leaving the United States Supreme Court after oral arguments in Riley v. California.

California Criminal Appeals

Clifton Maxwel & Pat Ford leaving Soledad State Prison after 12 years in the state & federal appeals courts.

Pat Ford and Mike Hanson at Mike's Release from Prison
Pat Ford and Mike Hanson at Mike's Release from Prison 2

Pat Ford greets Mike Hansen upon his release from Donovan State Prison following a commutation from Governor Brown.


Speak With Pat Ford Now!
Speak With Pat Ford Now!

Have you been convicted of a criminal offense in California? If so, having a conviction on your record can adversely affect virtually every aspect of your life, even after you serve your sentence. By hiring a skilled criminal appeals lawyer, you can file a direct appeal or petition for post-conviction relief.

Servicing All of California

Pat Ford Appeals represents defendants convicted of crimes in the San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento Metro Area, and Fresno areas on appeal or in post-conviction proceedings.

Pat Ford has successfully represented clients in cases involving misdemeanor appeals, felony appeals, state writ of habeas corpus petitions, federal writ of habeas corpus petitions, post-conviction petitions, commutation applications, and SB 1437 petitions and AB 2942 petitions. A criminal case doesn’t have to end with a conviction and we are committed to fighting for our clients’ rights and best interests throughout the appeals process.


Risk Free Consultation

At Pat Ford Appeals we pride ourselves on our commitment to prompt responses to our potential clients and clients. Your case is very important to us and we will respond to you as soon as possible.