If a serious legal error occurred during your trial and the error changed the outcome of your case, but the deadline for filing a criminal appeal has passed, you may be able to file a petition for habeas corpus relief to challenge the conviction. You can also file a habeas corpus petition if you believe you are being imprisoned in violation of the law or your constitutional rights. The following are some common grounds for writ of habeas corpus petitions:

  • Introduction of new evidence that points to your innocence
  • Changes in the law
  • Incompetency during trial
  • Ineffective assistance of counsel
  • Conviction under unconstitutional law
  • Prosecutorial misconduct
  • No jurisdiction
  • Unconstitutional conditions of confinement