If you are convicted of a crime in California, you may be able to petition the court for post-conviction relief. A post-conviction petition is a petition that seeks a specific legal remedy from the court for individuals who believe they have been wrongfully convicted of a crime they didn’t commit, sentenced to an excessive term of imprisonment, or unlawfully detained in violation of their constitutional rights.